There is a lot of buzz online and on social media about the Curly Girl Method. It is a way of taming, defining and celebrating curly hair.
The Curly Girl Method has allowed many women to get their curls bouncier and healthier than ever before. Many curly-haired ladies have a fear and distrust of hairdressers following salon disasters in the past, but we want to change that. Curly-haired girls should feel utterly fabulous when they leave the salon.
What is the Curly Girl Method?
The Curly Girl Method is based on the book "Curly Girl" by Lorraine Massey. The book lists four hair types, and you will need to read through to determine which one is yours. There are also subcategories to assess the kind of wave you have or could have. The book also says you should avoid using the following on your curly hair:
3. Combs and brushes
6. Non-water-soluble silicones
Avoid shampoo, are you crazy?
The Curly Girl method says that to achieve those lustrous curls, you should cleanse the hair gently, without removing the oils which are crucial to hair health. Stripping oils away deprives the hair of necessary moisture and amino acids, leaving it dull and dry. Most shampoos contain harsh chemicals and dry sulphates which can be damaging to curly hair. However, some girls who follow the method, do still wash their hair, but less often, and have had great results.
Curly Girl Method approved hair products
At Freestyle, we use IQ Hair Products, which are sulphate and paraben-free so are suitable for infrequent use. The team would give you a personal recommendation, depending on your hair type, but usually, the Intense Moisture Shampoo and Conditioner or the Clarifying Shampoo and Repair Mask are suggested.
The Curly Girl Method has also approved using Olaplex, which is also available at the salon. The Olaplex no.3 hair treatment is left on for at least ten minutes and will help repair your hair for a sleeker, healthier-looking finish.
How to follow the Curly Girl Method
You should always feel free to tweak and adapt ‘the rules’ to suit you and your own hair. Here are the do’s and don’ts of the Curly Girl Method:
· Don’t use shampoo, specifically shampoos containing or non-soluble silicones found in styling products and conditioners.
· Don’t wash your hair too much. Once or twice a week is enough.
· Don’t use heat to dry, style, curl, straighten and even wash your hair. Heat is one of the most significant sources of damage to hair.
· Don’t brush or comb your hair. By using these, you’re pulling out your hair’s natural curl pattern, which is precisely what you want to avoid.
· Don’t towel-dry your hair, not even gently. It creates frizz and roughens up the hair cuticles.
· Use a cleansing conditioner to ensure you reap all the benefits without bombarding your hair and scalp with aggressive ingredients that will further dry out or damage your hair.
· As good as it can feel, don’t use your fingernails when your massaging in your chosen cleanser – apply gentle pressure with your fingertips instead.
· Use your fingers to untangle your hair by starting from the bottom and working yourself up, preferably when your hair is still wet.
· Use natural ingredients such as coconut oil, shea butter, jojoba, or olive oil to moisturise your curls.
· Use a cotton t-shirt or micro-fibre towel to dry your hair or wrap it up.
Curly Girl Method Instructions
1. Wet your hair and use gentle, circular scrubbing motions to stimulate your scalp and work in the conditioner using only your fingertips.
2. Work your conditioner into your hair, ensuring it is evenly coated. Use warm, not hot water to rinse it.
3. Untangle your hair using your fingers, starting from the bottom and working up.
4. Air-dry or gently blot your curls using a micro-fibre towel. If you must use a hair styler, use a diffuser on your hairdryer.
Curly Hair Stylist in Treforest, Pontypridd – near Cardiff
People with curly hair should have their hair trimmed every three months. A half-inch is usually enough to get rid of split ends. If you are following the Curly Girl Method, please mention this to us when you get in touch to book your appointment, so we can make sure you get the best treatment for your hair.
For example; we can offer a dry curly hair cut, letting your curls sit naturally to the shape of your head before doing a curly cleanse and treatment. For this, we would need you to arrive with your dry hair cleansed and fully detangled, without any products or oils in your hair. Your hair should also not be up in any way, as this can make it more challenging to see the natural fall of your curls.
Follow Freestyle on Social Media